The below video is the first full trailer for the upcoming Ridley Scott film, Prometheus, which started out as a prequel to the Alien series, but morphed into an re-imagining of a first contact story in the universe Scott created in 1979. It was released by the studio today.
Scott said that when he made the original Alien and Blade Runner, his concern was a world eventually owned and controlled by corporations. As he was working on Prometheus, he said his 30-years-old fears have been supplanted by something far more sinister. It’s that fear that this new film addresses.
The clip features space ships, space and what looks like an infection by alien genetic engineering gone awry … with a Hollywood A-List cast.
In the distant future, two superpowers control Earth and fight each other for all the solar system’s natural resources. When one side dispatches a team to a distant planet to terraform it for human colonization, the team discovers an indigenous race of bio-mechanoid killers.
Ridley Scott, director of ‘Alien’ and ‘Blade Runner,’ returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.
Genre: Science Fiction
Director: Ridley Scott
Cast: Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace
Release Date: June 8, 2012
Cast shown in the clip includes:
- Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) Denmark version, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) as Elizabeth Shaw
- Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class, 300, Hex) as the android, David
- Logan Marshall-Green (24, The O.C.) as Charlie Holloway
- Idris Elba (Thor, Ultraviolet) as Janek
- Charlize Theron (Snow White and the Huntsman, The Road, Æon Flux, Hancock) as Meredith Vickers
- Sean Harris (The Borgias) as Fifield